Monday, December 1, 2008

Now, its official. Napolitano is leaving.

President-Elect Obama has announced his national security team with Governor Janet Napolitano as the head of the Department of Homeland Security. There are two versions of Napolitano's official statement:

Here is the one from the Governor's office:

PHOENIX – Governor Janet Napolitano has accepted an offer from President-elect Barack Obama to become Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security.

The Governor has released the following statement:

“I am humbled and honored by President-elect Obama’s invitation, and I am proud to accept it. I believe that when called upon to serve – particularly at such a critical time in the history of our country – it is my duty as a citizen to step forward and say, “Yes.”

“This affirmative answer was, by no means, an easy answer. Over the past six years, together, we have accomplished a great deal in Arizona. My pride in this state, my love for it and my dedication to it will never change.

“Arizona is also facing a time of challenge, and I intend to carry forward with my most important responsibilities as the leader of this state. In just a few weeks, I will deliver my State of the State address, and shortly thereafter, I will present to the Arizona Legislature a balanced budget proposal for Fiscal Year 2010.

“Upon my confirmation as Secretary by the U.S. Senate, I will tender my resignation as Governor of Arizona. Secretary of State Jan Brewer will take over the challenging job as Arizona’s governor during this difficult time, without having sought this office. She will need your support, and I pledge her mine. Specific members of my staff will be designated to oversee the Arizona transition, to ensure that power and responsibility are transferred seamlessly.

“To the people of Arizona I say, “thank you.” You entrusted me to run this state to the best of my ability, and I have tried with all my being to do so. I will continue to work for Arizona and Arizonans, but from a different place and with a different charge.

“In my first inaugural speech, I said, “Our strength lies in our diversity and it lies in our heritage. And we must draw on both of these gifts in the days ahead.” Those words are still true and still useful today. We will face change together, and continue to stand together as “One Arizona.”


Here is the one from the Arizona Democratic Party:

Dear Friend,

This morning I was proud to accept an offer from President-elect Barack Obama to become Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security.

I believe that when called upon to serve - particularly at such a critical time in the history of our country - it is our duty to step forward and say, "yes."

This was by no means, an easy decision. Over the past six years, we have accomplished a great deal together. We moved our state in a new direction strengthening our schools with voluntary full-day kindergarten, higher teacher pay and higher standards for our students. We expanded access to children's health insurance and saved Arizonans millions of dollars with one of the largest free prescription drug discount programs in the country. And we're rebuilding Arizona's economy with a focus on high-wage, high-tech jobs of the future.

On the political front, we surpassed one million registered Democrats for the first time in history. We reached another milestone by electing four more Democrats to Congress, sending a majority to Washington this January. And we've built a Democratic Party that's stronger, smarter and better positioned for victory in 2010 than ever before.

Arizona is facing a challenging time, and I intend to carry forward with my most important responsibilities as the leader of this state. In the weeks ahead, I will deliver my State of the State address, and shortly thereafter, I will present to the Arizona Legislature a balanced budget proposal for Fiscal Year 2010. Upon confirmation as Secretary by the U.S. Senate, I will tender my resignation as Governor of Arizona.

My pride in this state, my love for it and my dedication to it will never change. I will continue to work for Arizona and Arizonans, but from a different place and with a different charge. Thank you for your continued friendship and support.

Yours very truly,

Janet Napolitano
Governor

No comments: